Questions about getting a Quote
Find it by barcode
- Type or scan in a barcode in the box in the middle of the page here.
- The 13 digit barcode is usually found of the back of the game case.
- We need the original barcode which may be under a shop sticker
- Some very old games didn't have barcodes
- Enter the barcode and click 'search', it will be added to your selling basket
- If we are not buying it, a message will appear
- If the barcode has already been added, a green button will appear to add more (up to five of each is allowed)
- Check the basket picture
Find it by Title
- Type a keyword in the search box in the middle of the page here.
- You can choose a platform to narrow your search.
- The search results can be sorted alphabetically or by platform
- Click the "Get price" button to store it.
- If we are not buying it, a message will appear
- If it is a duplicate, it will not go in the basket
- Check the basket picture
Add more games
- We need you to send at least 15 items (priced over 16p each and at least 65% games/ less than 35% accessories)
- The total must be at least £55 (you can send up to 5 of the same item)
- You can click 'save for later' to keep the quote for 4 weeks (you'll need to open a basic account)
- Games in the saved basket will change in price daily
- The 'Continue' button lights up when you have enough
Tell us about problems
- Each item in the basket can be edited
- Update scruffy or missing cases, manuals etc
- Check our rules for scruffy items here
Choose how you want to be paid
- Choose 'Shop Credit' for the best price
- Choose 'PayPal' if you have a PayPal account
- Review your prices for each option
Choose how you want to send your parcel
- If you're sending it yourself, we will give you a postage credit
- The postage credit is then shown at the bottom of the basket
- Choose the 'Courier' option for us to collect
Add Quote Details
- You will be asked to login or create an account.
- Enter a payment address
- We need an address even if you are sending the parcel yourselves
- Type in a valid PayPal email if you are being paid by PayPal
- Choose a collection date for courier if we collect
- Read our packing guidelines here
- Tick to accept our packing and selling Terms
- Click the 'get quote' button to complete the Quote
- We'll email you a copy of your Quote
- You will receive a quote number valid for 14 days
- You'll be forwarded to a Quote Status page
Get Quote Status
- On the Quote Status page:
- You can add courier instructions
- You can print off the courier label here
- If you are sending, you can enter the post date and tracking no
- Check the status of your quote
- View queried items
- Reprint your Quote document
Ready to start selling games? Type in your game here.
We currently buy the following platforms (but the list is increasing regularly):
2600, 32x, 32x CD, 3DO, 3DS, 7800, Book, C64, ColecoVision, Dreamcast, DS, Game and Watch, GameCube, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, GBA, Gamegear, Jaguar, Jaguar CD, Master System, MegaCD, Megadrive, N64, NeoGeo Pocket, NES, PC CD, PC DVD, PS Vita, Playstation, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSP UMD, Saturn, SNES, Spectrum, Tabletop, Vectrex, Wii, Wii U, XBox 360, XBox, Xbox One
We offer two methods of payment:
1) Chillout Games Shop Credit
You can use Shop Credit to buy more games at Chillout Games. As soon as we book in your games, your account will be updated. The next
time you log in, the credit will be ready to use. This option offers the best value for money and there's no time limit
on when you have to use it up.
We're a rapidly growing business with more and more titles being added each week. You also benefit from our great pre-owned
prices - much lower than RRP.
2) PayPal instant transfer
We've been using PayPal to pay for games on eBay for the past 10 years. It enables us to send payments immediately without the hassle of
writing cheques. You avoid the the complications of waiting for a cheque and taking it to the bank. You can use the funds immediately to
buy goods from anywhere that accepts PayPal. We will even cover the standard PayPal transaction fee for you (not any other fees e.g subsequent
transfer to a UK bank account - although this is usually free depending on your bank). International customers - please ensure that your default receiving currency is GBP
otherwise PayPal will charge you a currency conversion fee which you will be liable for.
When you press 'Get Quote', we send an email to the PayPal email address - please follow the instructions in the email to verify the address for payment.
Not set up with PayPal? Here's a link to the PayPal site.
Money in your PayPal account can easily be transferred to your UK bank account (in your PayPal account, the option is usually in 'Money/Withdraw Money').
The process is usually very quick depending on the bank; for example transfers to HSBC can be visible in minutes.
At Chillout Games, we aim to be the fastest at getting you paid and 98% of quotes are paid within 2 working days of receipt.
We are currently paying quotes within 36 hours of receipt. Quotes received on Friday are usually paid on Monday.
You will receive an email from us when your parcel(s) arrives. The email will indicate your position in the queue
for processing and the estimated time for processing. In practice, quotes with a large number of consoles/ accessories
take slightly longer to process.
When your quote has been checked, you will receive an email notifying you that your quote is ready for payment and
the email will include a reconciliation of differences (if any) between the stated amount and the amount paid.
If you have chosen shop credit, the credit will be available immediately. If you have chosen PayPal,
the payment should be in your account within 2 hours.
At Chillout Games, we believe that customers who have managed to keep their collection in good condition should get a better
price for their games than those that have not. We have developed our selling basket so that you get the opportunity to tell us
about missing or scruffy cases, inlays or instructions and get a valuation for those before you place your quote. We believe that we
adopt a fair approach to grading the quote when it arrives so that you should not get any unpleasant surprises when the quote is
processed. Having said that, by sending us your items you accept that our judgement is final i.e. the price we pay out will be based on
our appraisal of the condition of your quote.
When you add your games, accessories and consoles to the selling basket, they will appear in the basket in good overall
condition complete with instructions and inlays. It is then up to you to identify whether there are missing parts, scruffy parts
or faulty items. The following (not-exhaustive) list explains what we consider to be scruffy or faulty items:
- The disc has 'fingernail' scratches: these are deep scratches that can be felt with a fingernail or
- It is significantly scratched: literally hundreds of marks or
- There is a 'void', retailer or similar sticker firmly glued to the top of the disc
- Either of the first 2 cases above will fail our inspection. The disc will have to be tested, put through our machines
three times, then tested again. That is why the price offered for scruffy discs is lower. Fortunately, we don't receive many of these!
- If they fail the testing stage, they will then be classed as faulty
- Cart casing cracked or broken (including PSP/UMD cart casings which are are difficult/time consuming to replace).
- The disc has dents, indentations, warping or cracks rendering it irreparable or
- It has data damage e.g. scratching to the top face of the disc which has impacted the data layer of the disc or
- When tested, it fails to load, freezes during gameplay or has jumpy audio or video.
- Badly corroded or discoloured contacts or
- There is a void, retailer or similar sticker firmly glued to the top of the cart or
- If it has an onboard memory battery which is flat or
- The cart plastic is quite heavily scratched or damaged or
- The cart sticker is missing, ripped, torn, artwork faded/rubbed out
- When tested (after being cleaned), it fails to load, freezes during gameplay or has jumpy audio or video.
'Scruffy' manuals (and inlays):
- The manual/inlay has suffered damage as a result of being chewed or bitten or
- There are corners cut off, pages torn out, ripped or torn pages (rips or tears under 2cm are acceptable
as long as the page is intact) or
- It has been written in using indelible ink or written in pencil so hard that the writing is embossed in the page (neat writing on notes pages is not scruffy) or
- There are food stains or it has clearly been used as a tea mat or
- It is generally untidy from heavy use or folding e.g. carried around in back pocket, rented out, bought third hand or
- It has suffered damage as a result of exposure to damp or liquid or noticably sunfaded or
- There are stickers firmly attached or retailer initials written in indelible ink or
- Manual staples have rusted and stained the manual or
- The pages are loose, badly glued in place or attached with tape
- Inlays are defined as the printed artwork which is normally in the front/back or sleeve of the case to identify the game.
Sega Saturn and Nintendo card box games e.g. SNES etc have the inlay built in to the box.
- Inlays or manuals will be classed as missing if they are not the correct ones for the game or they are not in English. They will also be classed as missing if
they are unusable e.g. pages stuck together or missing, words illegible, fire damaged or generally extremely scruffy.
- The case is complete but cracked (over 1cm long) or
- Part of the case is missing or
- Hinges or box flaps are broken or missing or
- Card boxes notably squashed or misshapen
- There are retailer stickers firmly attached (genuine publisher/developer stickers are fine)
- PS1/ Dreamcast - we don't mind broken disc holders as these are easily replaceable
- Please note that missing or scruffy inlays/game artwork are graded seperately
- A case is classed as missing if it is clearly different from the intended case for the game
- Unusable cases will also be classed as missing e.g. not fit for purpose, falling apart, significant pieces missing, fire damaged or generally extremely scruffy.
- The case is cracked or noticably scratched or yellowed/faded or
- Cart slot cover missing or
- Disc tray sticking or
- The console is barred from using an online service e.g. XBox Live
- When tested, it fails to load games, fails to power up, overheats, excessively noisy or
- freezes during gameplay or has jumpy audio or video or
- Laser struggles/slow to read discs
- Power or aerial/AV socket loose or
- Faulty or missing power supply or
- Certain functions don't work for example PS2 won't play DVDs, controller port not working
'Scruffy' PS3/PS4/WiiU/XBoxOne/PSP/UMD/Bluray discs:
- PS3, PS4, Wii U, Xbox One games and Bluray films have a very thin plastic layer between the playing side(underneath) and the data layer.
This is dictated by the BlueRay technology as BlueRay has a short wavelength compared to DVD.
Because the layer of plastic is so thin (5 times thinner than a DVD underneath) it has been hard-coated to resist
all but the most brutal of scratches. We cannot repair these scratched discs to the level of quality expected by
our customers and we find that a quantity which pass our initial tests still fail during subsequent gameplay.
PSP and UMD discs rely on the plastic case for protection and there is no protective layer on the disc itself - any scratches on these discs can cause data damage.
For this reason, scruffy PS3/PS4/WiiU/XBoxOne/Bluray/PSP/UMD discs are priced lower than other discs and we reserve the right to return them without payment.
We may offer an additional amount for new sealed games. The tickbox will be visible when you click to edit your item in the selling basket. To qualify as a new sealed game, the case must not be cracked/squashed/stained or otherwise scruffy. There can be no sign of attempts to open the wrapping (small tears in shrinkwrap are acceptable).
The wrapping must be as stated by us for the item e.g. 'Factory sealed with tearstrip'. If the tickbox is ticked for a game which is damaged or not sealed in accordance with our description, the new price will not be paid.
We do not shrinkwrap used games and resell them as new sealed but it is a common practice in the industry. These games are easily recognizable by us as not new and the item will not be eligible for the new sealed price.
No - Chillout Games staff are trained to spot fake games on receipt. We have a range of pointers for identifying fake Gameboy Advance and DS games,
Megadrive carts, reproduction cases, sleeves etc. We do not offer any money for fake items; any items identified as fakes by us are
immediately rendered unusable and disposed of.
In the sell cart, we offer a price for 'nongen' accessories, this price is for third-party equipment which does not
infringe the rights of the original manufacturer for example Joytech handset, Madcatz memory card etc.
We work out the prices that we offer for your games based on a market value which reflects the demand for
each individual title. These prices are matched in the market on a regular basis.
The price may change with seasonality but games prices generally fall over time (apart from some collectible rare titles).
Our prices also change based on the quantity we have in stock e.g. we will pay you more for a game if we have a low stock holding.
The condition of the games also affects the price - you can select the condition for each item and the price is adjusted accordingly.
Consoles and accessories are an important part of our business but they are very time consuming to check and test.
We have found that unless there is a cap on the level of accessories allowed in a quote, we can quite easily get too
many accessories to be able to process quotes promptly.
As a result, we have introduced a limit on the level of accessories that we will accept. The limit works
by calculating the ratio of games to accessories as you add to the quote. A warning is displayed if there are too many
accessories and you will not be able to checkout until some are removed from the basket or
enough games are added to correct the balance. Please note that if you decide to send additional accessories as extra items not
listed in the quote, you will not receive payment for them if they exceed the limit of allowed accessories for that quote.
The current level of games required in a quote is 65%. For example, if you have 39 games to send, you can also send up to
21 accessories (NB consoles include several accessories). The ratio fluctuates depending on our workload and stock of consoles/accessories.
We get enough low priced games in the general course of business and regularly sell these in bundles of 50 or 100 - so we're not looking to buy additional bulk lots of low value games
from resellers. As a result of this, we have introduced a quality threshold which means that you cannot checkout if you have a large quantity of games which work out at an average price of under 60p.
We currently accept a limited range of US/NTSC games. When you search for a game by title, we are only accepting US/NTSC games if NTSC format
is listed under the game title. If there are only PAL format games listed for that title, we are not accepting NTSC games. We are not currently
buying NTSC/import consoles.
If you send an NTSC format game when we have specifically offered a price for a PAL UK game, we will pay you half the PAL price (subject
to it being complete, in good condition and works normally on an unmodified UK console).
We will also pay half the PAL quote price for USA multi-region DS (not DSi enhanced), Gameboy, Gameboy Color, GBA, PS3, XBox One, and XBox 360 import games(not region locked);
they may look and play similar to UK games but they are less desirable to collectors and even
many casual gamers. This is because they represent a cheaper option on release than UK titles and there may uncertainty over
whether all the online features etc will work on European servers. We are not currently buying Dsi enhanced import titles
which do not work on UK consoles. We pay 20% of the PAL price for USA Dreamcast, Gamecube, N64, NES (including PAL B), PS1, PS2, Saturn, SNES and Xbox games. We offer a 25% lower price for Australian PAL games if there is a European version available.
We are not buying XBox 360 import titles which have been region locked (about 50% of them).
You can tell a US import game from the age rating logo on the case:
We pay half the equivalent price of full games for promo and ex rental games - provided they contain the identical software to the full game.
For example, if the price quoted for an original full game with no manual was £4.50, you would receive £2.25 for a promo game with no manual. The quote would
be adjusted on receipt if there was no promo/rental code in the cart. We do not accept demo games and offer no price for these.